SRINAGAR: A top Hizbul Mujahideen commander, who was the last surviving member of the militant group led by Burhan Wani, has been killed along with four other militants, including a professor at the University of Kashmir, in an encounter in south Kashmir’s Shopian district today morning.

Five civilians including a teenage boy were also killed in clashes near the site of encounter.

Saddam Padder, an A++ category militant from Heff village of Shopian, was among the gunned down militants. Police sources said he was one of the close associate of Burhan Wani and the last surviving militant of the group whose photo had gone viral on social media in 2015, which marked the dawn of ‘new age’ insurgency in Kashmir.

Another gunned down militant identified as Dr Mohammad Rafi Bhat had gone missing from Kashmir University on Friday, prompting protests by his students and some teachers who demanded to know his whereabouts. Police had said he had joined militant outfit Hizbul Mujahideen.

According to reports, some of his colleagues at the University and his parents were brought from their Ganderbal residence to the site of encounter in an attempt to convince the professor to surrender, but their efforts didn’t yield any results.

“Several attempts were made to convince the holed up militants to surrender. We even brought the family of Dr Bhat to the site of encounter to encourage him to give up arms and surrender but our effort didn’t materialise,” a senior police officer said.

Fearing law and order problems on the campus, the University of Kashmir has suspended classwork for two days. Restrictions have also been imposed in south Kashmir ahead of the funeral prayers for the slain militants.

Sources said a civilian identified as Asif Mir, 21, a resident of Rahmoo village in Pulwama district, was critically injured in clashes with security forces in Badigam village of Shopian where the encounter broke out today morning.

“He had suffered injuries in his skull, apparently due to gunshot wounds, and was referred to SMHS hospital in a critical state where he has succumbed,” doctors at a Shopian hospital, where the victim was brought for treatment, said.

Sources said another civilian identified as Sajad Ahmad Rather son of Manzoor Ahmad Rather, a resident of Dooru area in Anantnag, was killed during the clashes, "His body is lying in the district hospital Shopian where protesters are raising anti-India and pro-freedom slogans".

Third civilian, Adil Ahmed Sheikh, a resident of Kulgam district sustained a bullet injury during clashes with government forces near the encounter site and later succumbed to injuries at Shopian. Sources said the body of Adil is on way to hia native Ashmuji village for last rites.

Two more civilians identified as Zubair Ahmad and Yasir Lone were killed in firing by security forces on protesters, sources said.

“Two personnel from J&K Police and the Army were also injured in the gunfight but their condition is stable,” police sources said.

Several protesters suffered pellet injuries as they made vain attempts to help the holed up militants in escaping by pelting stones at the forces who had laid siege of the village following inputs about the presence of militants there.

“Encounter concluded at Badigam Zainpora Shopian, 5 bodies of terrorists recovered. Well done boys - Army/ CRPF/J&K Police,” Director General of J&K Police, SP Vaid, wrote on Twitter.

Police has identified the other three gunned down militants as Tawseef Sheikh, Bilal Moulvi and Adil Ahmad. They were all affiliated with Hizbul Mujahideen. Meanwhile, clashes are going on in parts of south Kashmir where authorities have suspended mobile network to prevent deterioration of law and order.