Protests Against Rape by Army Jawans Paralyse Karbi Anglong
One of the deserted streets during the bandh; Photo credits- Telegraph India
NEW DELHI: The Karbi Anglong district came to a standstill on Saturday following the 24-hour bandh called by 10 Karbi organisations in protest against the alleged rape of two women and a teenager by army jawans on April 6 at Dokmoka town of the district.
Normal life was crippled in the district with all vehicles off the roads, and business establishments and shops remaining closed. Roads and markets were deserted and the bandh which started at 5 am completely paralyzed normal routine in Hamren and Bokajan subdivisional headquarters.
There was, however, no untoward incident or violence reported during the bandh hours and it passed off peacefully, according to the Karbi Anglong police
The reported rape of three women by the Army men drew widespread condemnation and flak. Thousands of angry protesters, including school students, local residents and people from different organisations attacked an army camp at Dokmoka. The police reportedly fired blanks in response. As many as nine people, including two school students and army personnel were injured.
Mukul Gogoi, the Deputy Commissioner of Karbi Anglong, after the bandh on called all organisations of the district for a discussion. The NGOs, women's organisations, student bodies and influential political parties were separately invited by the administration through letters to participate in the discussion to find a solution to the issue.
"We will explain to the organisation leaders about the steps which have so far been taken. We will listen to their demand. The aim is to resist any unwanted move that can affect the law and order situation," Gogoi told reporters.
Three separate enquiries into the incident have been started by the district administration,the Karbi Anglong police and the regiment concerned.
"We have three demands which include arrest of the culprits, withdrawal of the regiment from Karbi Anglong and compensation to the victims' families. We will ask the administration to ensure these at Sunday's meeting," Karbi Students' Association leader Leeon Engleng said to the media.
On the other hand, the district administration clarified that as far as withdrawing the regiment as concerned, it was the decision to be taken by the government and the administration could not interfere in that.
On April 6, an army team of 8 jawans entered Khorsim Athor village under Dokmoka police station in the Karbi Anglong district in Assam and allegedly raped three women, including a 13-year-old teenager.