SRINAGAR: Security has been stepped up in the capital city amid fears that suspected militants, who escaped after killing a BSF jawan in Baramulla early this week, may strike security installations here.

According to police sources and commuters, multiple checkpoints have been set up at all the entry points around Srinagar where police and paramilitary are stopping cars and frisking commuters.

Police sources said there are apprehensions that the militants who managed to escape under the cover of darkness after striking outside an Army camp in north Kashmir's Baramulla, may attack security installations in the capital.

"I was stopped at a checkpoint near Rajbagh by CRPF and policemen. They frisked the car and also asked for my ID card. Something doesn't seem to be right," Aijaz Rasool, a Srinagar-based businessman who was on way to his home after purchasing grocery, said.

The capital Srinagar and other parts of the valley are witnessing a complete shutdown, although some shops with shutters half open were doing business amid a separatist sponsored strike call against the spate of civilian killings over the last three months.

Protests refuse to die down in the restive region with the Army resorting to aerial firing and police and paramilitary troopers lobbing teargas shells to disperse protesters who allegedly pelted stones at an Army convoy in north Kashmir.

Police said the incident took place in Bandipora district today morning where 'miscreants' pelted stones at an army convoy in Gulshan Chowk area, forcing the army to fire warning shots.

Police and paramilitary troopers were rushed to the spot who resorted to teargas shelling and baton charge to disperse the protesters. Clashes were going on in the area when this report was filed.

Situation remains tense in the valley in the aftermath of Burhan Wani's killing with at least 50 persons, including women, suffering injuries in forces' action against protesters, hundreds and thousands of whom have been incarcerated in the last month.

A local newspaper, Kashmir Reader, was shut down two days ago in a widely condemned move by authorities who said its content can incite violence in the restive valley where protests continue despite a sweeping crackdown on civilian population.

Last night, a police station was reportedly attacked in Kulgam district by suspected militants who fired at a check post guarding the station. The police spokesman later said the force may have opened fire after spotting suspicious movement in the area.

Around the same time, a grenade was hurled at the residence of the ruling PDP's Shopian legislator Advocate Mohammad Yousuf Bhat. The attack took place shortly before midnight but there are no reports of any damage or casualty. Sources said Bhat was not present in the house at the time of the attack.

(Cover photograph Basit Zargar)