SRINAGAR: The Hurriyat trio of Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik are meeting here to discuss the strategy for the prevailing uprising which has left a trial of death and destruction in Kashmir.

The meeting is taking place at the Srinagar residence of Geelani at a time when the middle-rung leadership of the Hurriyat and nearly 7000 protesters, many of them separatist activists, are either behind bars or detained at their homes.

While Mirwaiz, the moderate Hurriyat chairman, was set free from his Nigeen residence today morning where he was under house arrest, Malik, the JKLF chief, had also reached the residence and is also attending the meeting.

Shahid-ul-Islam, the political advisor to Mirwaiz, told The Citizen that he has been placed under arrest by the authorities, "I have no idea of what transpired in the meeting. A statement may be issued later," he said.

Authorities on Wednesday foiled meeting between the trio after Malik, who was released from jail earlier, reached the same venue while Mirwaiz was prevented from leaving his Nigeen residence.

The meeting is the first get-together of the Hurriyat leaders since the killing of the Hizb commander Burhan Wani which sparked a civil uprising in the Valley.

According to sources, the Hurriyat leaders discussed the strategy for the ongoing agitation which has resulted in colossal economic losses with hundreds of thousands rendered jobless due to the nearly four month long shutdown.

Although the minutes of the meeting were not immediately available, sources said the issue of schools being set on fire also came up for discussion and all the leaders condemned such incidents.

Amid mounting pressure from traders and civil society, the Hurriyat is also expected to take a call on continuing its protest calendar which cripples normal life on a weekly basis in Kashmir.

Kashmir is reeling under separatist-sponsored shutdown and protests from the last four months. To control the freedom protests, forces have shot dead at least 94 civilians. Two forces' personnel also died during clashes with freedom protesters.

(Cover Photograph BASIT ZARGAR)